Sunday 25 September 2011

Fascinating Aida Cheap Flights @ Newcastle


Sunday nights have always been a bit of a bore to me.  First it was the bath & early night before school, then the lull after a fun weekend before the drudgery of work, and finally the end of Super Sunday live football with only Countryfile to keep me from bed by 9.  Last night, however I had the best Sunday night of many a year, setting the bar impossibly high to beat and in the process introducing me to an absolute gem of an act.

I must admit, I only heard about Fascinating Aida when a friend sent me a link to “Cheap Flights” on YouTube – by that time the clip had gone fungal (!), so when the chance came to go and watch them live it was with intrigue and anticipation that I arranged the tickets.

From the first minute to the last of 2 hefty encores, the 3 ladies of mirth & musical merriment delivered the upmost in comic & satirical wordplay to give Flanders & Swann, Stephen Fry, Victoria Wood, Monty Python, Mel Brooks and Richard Digance (yes I still remember him) good reason to hang up their quills, put away their pianos and accept that they have been completely usurped.  (Sorry Stephen, you’re still my favourite presenter but even you cannot match three lovely ladies on stage)

Founded by  Dillie Keane in 1983 and joined in 1984 by Adele Anderson, Fascinating Aida have been successfully touring the world for over 25 years, delivering their blend of cutting satire with operatic harmonies and quint-essential devilment.  Now assisted by Sarah-Louise Young (who, by Dillie’s own admission, halves the average age of the group) we were treated to the full array of melodious mischief including songs about Dogging, the Economy (for which I daren’t disclose the title for fear of reproach by my mum), Modern Art, the aforementioned Cheap Flights and a wonderful exploration of the nuances of Bulgarian folk music.  The musical scope didn't stop at thematic harmonies, there was Dillie's wonderful Hip Hop omage to keeping up with the kids, Sarah-Louise's lament for the previous nights 'rendezvous' and Adele explaining how to be German. 

In these times of austerity and reduced disposable income, when times are bad and spirits low, when the world is teetering on the brink of a double dip, I can offer this suggestion; forego eating for a week, pass up the chance to buy those new shoes, stop the kids pocket money for a month – in fact, do anything to make sure you can buy a ticket for this show – the impact will be far reaching, the smiles long lasting and the glow of inner happiness..... who am I kidding, just go and watch 3 super talented & utterly charming ladies verge on dirty and forget your troubles for the night.


This was a night of firsts for me; it was also the first time I had been to the Journal Tyne Theatre, formally known as The Stoll.  What a wonderful theatre, full of character retaining all the charm of an old music hall and filled with the essence of hundreds of years of performing.  I doubt, however that it had ever played host to such a compelling & embracing example of cabaret which completely enthralled the audience.  A special thank you goes to Phil, the duty manager, who personally ensured that my brother & I had a very comfortable 2nd half.

No comments:

Post a Comment