Tuesday 21 June 2011

A Night at the Opera @ Darlington Civic

Had anyone previously asked me whether I fancied 'a Night at the Opera', I would have thought they were meaning the seminal Queen album containing such hits as "Love of my Life", "You're my Best Friend" and of course "Bohemian Rhapsody", but although this evening was not a Freddie Mercury & Queen night, I did feel somewhat regal as I took my seat ready to break my operatic duck.

I have always been a fan of music, having trained to play the keyboards for 6 years as a teenager, during which time progressing to play a lot of classical music but sticking to the very popular or those which had been used in adverts or TV.  I was therefore quite excited about seeing & hearing first hand how the tunes I'd mercilessly butchered should sound as well as discovering new ones.  The feeling of pomp & circumstance surrounding the thought of "going to the opera, don't you know" almost made me drift into bad impressions of Noel Coward (minus the smoking jacket).

What a fabulous evening this was.  For anyone who can't tell their Tosca from their La Boheme and who are certain Rigoletto is a starter at the local Italian, I guarantee that you would certainly know all the tunes and I daresay a lot of the words too. (although some may be the bastardised football versions).  Likewise, I defy anyone not to marvel at the sheer spectacle of the costumes, the power of the voices and the spender of the occasion. The programme contained music by Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, Rossini, Bizet, Offenbach and many more; names which, had they been footballers, would be classed as 'Galicticos' - or simply put, mega-stars. 

It's funny how music, quite often the background soundtrack to life can suddenly become the focual point and creator of memories.  For over 2 hours I sat in awe of this glittering concert, only punctuated by my possibly annoying commentary of "oh I know this one" - needless to say, my guest for the evening was equally enamoured with the sudden familiarity of the hitherto unknown works.  Complete with orchestral interludes adding to the grandeur of occasion, I felt that I had been whisked away to the opera houses of Venice, Rome, Vienna, Prague and Paris back in the 17th & 19th centuries.   Of course, no opera evening would be complete without a rendition of Nessun Dorma from Turandot and I have to admit, I felt a Gascoigne-like tear well up as memories of Sir Bobby Robson, Rome and that oh-so-near (again) feeling flooded around me.

Darlington Civic Theatre played perfect host to this sumptuous evening as tho it were designed purely with nights like this in mind and I am sure, given the rapturous applause at the end, that opera will be a very welcome addition to the annual schedules for the South Durham public.  The Civic scored very highly with my guest too, for she had chosen to forsake her usual viewing pleasures in York to sample the delights of Darlington; final score Darlington 1 - York 0 !

Personally I would like to thank the cast, musicians and production for awakening in me a real enjoyment of opera - it's like discovering a whole new world to explore, one which has been around for centuries but just never before seeming too appealing. 


Additional note: Since attending the show at Darlington Civic I have found myself drawn to checking out the Sky Arts channel listings for the full operatic works; so much so that my Sky + box is almost full, so I guess it will soon be time to put on my Sunday best, take up my opera glasses and settle down to enjoy another Night at the Opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment